About Me

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I took art lessons for a couple months last year. It was pretty awesome. The art teacher wanted me to draw pictures of live animals. Well, our animals wouldn't hold still for me; so I settled for pictures of our animals. The above picture is the fourth animal picture I ever drew. It is of my cat, Greyholm. Unfortunately, he disappeared when he was about five-years-old. 

And while I was doing a poetry class a year or two before art lessons, I was commissioned to write an elegy of sorts for a family pet. I chose my cat since he was one of the few animals I ever picked. I've been meaning to polish the poem all up, but here are a few lines that I especially liked from it:

I am not a cat person,
But you were a cat-
A small one, dirty and thin.
I would have resisted-
I could have,
But your need caused me to cave,
You skinny, straggling shadow.
More than once, I regretted the cave.
....
Then you weren't so bad for a cat,
And I think you thought, for a human,
I was at least decent.
...
In fact, you never gazed up at me in offense,
But silently understood like a cat really ought not.
You were my first, gray hair,
And I doubt you will be my last.
Whenever and wherever I was, you were there
For five short years, and I think,
We made a fine pair -
For a 'not a cat person' and cat.



That eye - it took me 30 minutes. I'm trying to get back into the drawing habit since I kinda fell out of it during the Summer. Anyway. I started with pencil and faces in the very beginning, strangely, and I think at this rate, they will be my best.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.