About Me

Monday, December 18, 2017

Soundtrack of 2017





I listen to a lot of music every year (I haven't dared look at my Spotify stats, though). I use Spotify quite a bit, but since I don't really like music subscriptions, I also do a lot of listening on my phone where all my personal collection is uploaded. My job currently is cleaning different people's houses, and with that sort of job, music truly is my sanity (and definitely one of the perks - at least if you get sick of the music, you're getting sick of your own). I decided I'd do a collection of the musical albums I've added this year, why I bought them, whether they lived up to my hope, and my favorite songs on them.


1. 


 Atlas: Year 2 - Sleeping At Last 



Sleeping at Last is one of my favorite musicians. Ever. He releases music a little different than other artists. He puts out several EPs per year, and in about a year and a half, it makes up a twenty-four song album (about). People can subscribe on his website so that they'll get his music as he releases it. I decided to do that, and it's been really fun. He's brilliant, guys, with his ideas, his lyrics, and his instrumentation. I can't wait to listen to each new song, and it's been awhile since I've been that enthusiastic about a musician. One of the reasons I like him is because of how hopeful he makes his songs, even the sadder ones, and that always rub off on me. With this album, he decided to do an EP with songs inspired by the eneagram. I hadn't heard read much on that personality categorization, but I did after hearing about these songs, and I've learned a lot about myself through it. I also love the songs he has written based on my personality type combination. If you were my best friend, I'd make you sit down a listen to every single one of his songs and read the lyrics (which is like...90, maybe?), but I think my favorites (picking my favorites hurts) might be 'Sight', 'Heart', 'One', and 'Two'. 

2.


Perception - NF



This is NF's third album (And my go-to on days when I'm just frustrated with life). Each time another releases, it takes a few listens for it to grow on me, but the depth of passion in his songs win me over, and I end up not disappointed. My favorite kind of music is the kind that makes me feel something, not just for the first few listens, but every single time. NF's music does that for me. This album is no different. Granted, there are two songs I tend to skip which is a first when it comes to his albums. My favorites are 'Intro III', 'Dreams', 'If You want Love', and 'Remember This'. Definitely, definitely worth it. 

3.


Night Visions - Imagine Dragons



(Also my go-to on frustrated days) I picked up these two Imagine Dragon albums back in the beginning of the year when they were featured $5 dollar albums on Amazon (for the good of my bank account, I stopped looking every month after that). So I'll start with saying that these were very much worth the price. Once again, I was drawn to the passion of their music and their lyrics, and, I guess, the bittersweetness of each song. They all seem very personal which has made them become personal to me, if that makes sense. I don't know. - These albums are also both a bit more energetic which makes them good for slow days and work. My favorites on this album are 'It's Time', 'Bleeding Out,' 'Nothing Left to Say', and 'Hear Me', and 'Demons', and 'On Top of the World', 'Every Night'...well, folks, this is why I bought it. 

4. 


Smoke & Mirrors - Imagine Dragon


Favorites on this are 'Shots', 'I Bet My Life', 'Dream', and 'The Fall'. Not as many favorites as the first one, but I like the ones I like enough to make the buy worthwhile. 


5.


To Be Alive - Akw

This artist is one of those obscure ones I stumbled across on accident. I'll admit that not all their songs are obviously distinct, but I really like the overarching sound. This album is one of those you listen to in the dark when you can't sleep or on a rainy day. It's simple and haunting and bittersweet. I also like how they have a buildup to their bridges. My favorites, I guess, are 'Desperate', 'The Hunt', 'Walk Home', and 'To Be Alive' (...might as well have just said every song). 


6.


Yearbook - Sleeping at Last


Another more recent addition, and since it has about 30+ songs on it, I haven't grown as familiar with it as Sleeping at Last's other stuff (which is why it's #6 on this list). This is the first album where he began to change his song-writing format. I believe he released three songs per month on this project (did I mention he has someone create artwork for each of his EPs? It's so creative, too). The different songs might not pop out quite as clear as his newer work, but I also think I need to give it a few more listens. Sometimes you have to pay attention to the lyrics before the songs become something. I guess I need to go on another roadtrip, but so far my favorites on this are 'Noble Aim', 'Emphasis', 'Snow', and 'Hourglass'. 

7.


My Head is an Animal - Of Monsters and Men



This band is from Iceland, and their lyrics are very interesting (+ strange - a little? To be honest, I haven't read every single lyric. Bits and pieces filter through, and I'm like, 'huh?'), but I enjoy their sound (accordions, yes). My favorites are 'Little Talks', 'King and Lionhearted',  'Love Love Love', and 'Yellow Light'.

8.


Fear & Fable - Fleurie



I discovered Fleurie when she was featured on NF's first album and really liked her voice so I came across this collection of songs. There's specifically two songs on this that made buying this EP worthwhile - 'Hymn' and 'Chasing All the Stars'. Those two are so good, and if you look her up, listen to them. But since this is another newer album, I imagine it'd be easy for the other tracks to grow on me. Her style is very calm and melancholy which works great for background music (not so much for upbeat housecleaning, though). 


9.


Covers, Vol. 1 - Sleeping at Last





Okay, so I just barely got this album. I've given it three listens and know most of the songs. It wouldn't have been my top pick, but there's this music subscription called Emusic (it's only worth it if you know of some really obscure artists or the early stuff of less obscure artists), and I ended up having a lot of music credits to use; so I bought this. I have to say I like 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)' the best (it's my go-to 'annoy everyone song'...well, not intentionally. It's just catchy and good for when you're walking long distances), and that was heavily influenced because it was featured in a very sweet Budlight (Budweiser?) ad a few Superbowls ago. I'll probably just add this one up to supporting a favorite artist.



Have you heard of any of these artists? Do like them? Meh? What has has 2017 been in music for you? New albums? New Artists? Let me know in the comments! I'm always looking for new music?

11 comments:

  1. I discovered Fleurie the same way as you and I LOVE HER!! Also, NF is amazing!! These are so good. I like Imagine Dragons, but I only listen to a few songs from them. Have you heard of SVRINCA? (I probably didn't spell that right.) She's like Fleurie and her songs are so awesome to write to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NF IS amazing. Definitely one of my all-time favorite artists, and I never imagined I'd say that about a rap artist.

      No, I haven't heard of her. I'll have to go check her out, and today would be perfect since I'm sick and stuck on the couch.

      Hope your Christmas was lovely!

      Delete
  2. YYYESSS! I get so excited about music posts becuase I am always looking for new music that hits me in the right spot. I will for sure be checking these out. Just added them to a playlist. Most excited to take a look at Sleeping At Last. YAS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small update. Your music picks are some of my new favorites!! Sleeping At Last and Fleurie are amazzzzinggg.

      Delete
    2. Oh goody! This makes me soooo happy, Vanessa! I'm really delighted that people enjoyed this post. I could honestly write about music all the time. I'm especially happy that enjoyed Sleeping at Last. He is the best.

      Thank you, Vanessa!

      Delete
  3. I just listened to a bunch of the songs you mentioned... I definitely need to look into Sleeping at Last some more! And Fleurie's Hymn just made me tear up. <3 (I first heard her in Mansions too, but never listened to her beyond that until today. Thank you!)

    My favorite new-to-me album this year was Empires by Hillsong. Two of my favorite songs on it are Captain and Street Called Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm so happy that you commented after you listened to some of the music. I always want to hear feedback on my recommendations.

      Sleeping at Last does take a few listens and lots of investigation because of the depth of his lyrics. I do hope you love what you find, though. Did you listen to any of the Eneagram songs? I know we're both INFJs, and I've been wondering if that personality transfers directly over to the Eneagram as the same thing. I got 1w2 (which are the two songs out).

      Hymn is amazing. I always view it as a song to God, even if it might have been meant as a romantic one.

      I'll definitely look up that album!

      Delete
    2. I know I've taken the Enneagram before, buuuut I forgot my results. XD Just took it again now, and it turns out I'm also a 1w2! Cool! And I also just re-listened to One and Two...both very relatable! I absolutely loved the line "grace requires nothing of me." So powerful. I hope the rest of the Enneagram songs come out soon--I'm curious!

      That's how I perceived Hymn as well. <3

      Let me know what you think of it! Oh, by the way, my brother just got NF's Mansion album for Christmas, and we listened to it on the drive to church yesterday. I LOVE IT. Rap's not usually my thing, but this was GOOD. The kind of lyrics I'll have to return to several times.

      Delete
    3. INFJs to take the Eneagram test. I don't know overall how accurate these are, but they've definitely helped me understand myself better. And those songs by Sleeping at Last. That line - the one you quoted - was the one that hit me the hardest. So much of what I do is based on the illusion of perfection and that I can somehow earn love and grace. The song '2' made me want to love people so much harder. Made me feel like I had all this potential. Maybe that's something seperating Eneagram from Meyers-Briggs. The former focuses more on possibility for growth. Or what you can be. If you ever have time, you should read more on the Eneagram Institute's website. Very fascinating. Now I've given you a boatload. I've just been so fascinated with this and thrilled with the songs (the next one will be out February 9th). And it's fun to compare notes with someone who came out as the same! =)

      Yes! I didn't think I'd like rap so much, but NF is awesome. His lyrics are so honest and raw. I like lyrics that really mean something. Have you listened to any of his other music?

      Delete
    4. Ahhhh, Meaghan, you PERFECTLY described how I felt about both of those songs! The perfectionism, the desire to love people better, the aching feeling of standing on the edge of potential.... We must be kindred spirits, as Anne of Green Gables would say. <3 I'll have to read more on the Enneagram for sure. :)

      That's exactly what I appreciate about his lyrics too. I spent a good hour or so listening to a bunch of his music kn spotify the other day. I remember liking Therapy Session and Just Being Me--there were others that stood out to me too, but I've forgotten their titles. XD Do you have a favorite album/song of his?

      Delete
    5. One can never have too many kindred spirits! =) Before I did the Meyer-Briggs test and came out as an INFJ, I always felt like the odd duckling (that, and the ache of potential. So many possibilities but which should I pursue? I still struggle with the feeling). In the numerous articles found through Pinterest, that seemed to be an overall feeling experienced by INFJs (Although, I'm sure all types deal with that at some point, but maybe certain types deal with it on a regular basis). Do you think it is?

      Oooh, that's such a difficult question to answer. Album-wise, I definitely still like his first the best. Song-wise...hmmm. I like Face It, I'll Keep On, Can You Hold Me, Lost in the Moment, Oh Lord, etc. How Can You Leave Us? breaks my heart each time I listen to it. I used to be only drawn to his songs that had singing choruses, but I've grown to enjoy the others, too. But the emotion is always so evident in his rapping voice.

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.