About Me

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Smoke Signals {poetry}



I'll send you a smoke signal
just so you'll know I'm alright.
It won't be much 
or nearly quite enough -- I'll admit it--
and you might even miss it,
but it's all I have the strength to do.
Sometimes...right now I ponder:
what's the point?
Do you even care?
But I remember what you've said
before it turns to ash,
and so that smoke signal comes
or is coming
as soon as I set this fire
or learn how to rearrange my words.

I'm trying to rearrange my words,
but written down,
they lack all meaning.
They're hollow. Too much. Too little.
Do you have the grace to see 
right through my confusion?
Maybe you can just read
between the lines?
Or will this smoke signal suffice?
Will it mold itself into an S.O.S?

Don't bother. 
It's just enough to let you know
I'm alright,
and I promise
I'll come back.
I won't know the date.
I don't know when 
I'll be happy again,
but you'll be the first to know.
Till then, look to the sky.
I promise I'll let you know I'm still alive. 


***


Hey there, I didn't intend to take a week off from blogging, but you know life. I actually persuaded my mom to write a guest post, but she hasn't finished it (she's a little bit out of practice with writing. Still -- I'm excited to share the post with you sometime this month). I've been spending more time and energy on writing stories again, and I've also been rereading some of my old favorite books. I haven't ever really been much of a rereader, but this year I decided to start. So far I've read The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe; The Gammage Cup and The Whisper of Glocken by Carol Kendall (I dearly love these two books, especially the second one. The characters are endearing, and I even chuckled a few times which is a rarity). Currently I'm working on The Horse and His Boy and Anne of Green Gables, too. I feel like I'm visiting old friends. It's so delightful. What are some favorite books from when you were younger that you'd consider your 'old friends'? 

7 comments:

  1. We're revisiting The Chronicles of Narnia too! My brothers haven't been exposed to the other books yet, so we're reading them in chronological order on Sundays now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delightful! My mom read them outloud when I was about 7. They might not be the most amazingly written, but there is something about them <3

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem! I tried to comment on this days ago, but my phone isn't letting me comment on ANY Blogger blogs lately, so to the computer I go. :( Anyway, it sounds like you've had some good, cozy reading lately. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. My phone had a similar problem for awhile. It was super annoying the few times I typed up comments only to have them disappear into oblivion. Urgh. Thanks for taking the time!

      Yup. I'm loving my current reads. For once I'm actually not looking forward to going back to non-fiction =)

      Delete
  3. I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. kak da se otkazhem ot tsigarite

    ReplyDelete
  4. On this subject internet page, you'll see my best information, be sure to look over this level of detail. Online Headshop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. Bong Water Pipes for Sale Online

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.