About Me

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Where I'm At (Writing)

           I started an online writing mentorship with a YA published author in the beginning of March. In this month and two weeks, I've learned some important things (unfortunately, not all about writing):

          1. I really suck at skyping. We did a skyping...session (is that what it's called?), and I died from awkwardness for the rest of the day. Please tell me someone else can relate to these feelings? Please? I even recited possible conversation continuers/starters, and...nope, did not work. Also you know the feeling when you are trying to explain something to someone, and they're just looking at you with an expression that says you speak a different language, and you wish you could just stop and forget about the whole thing, but at that point, you have to continue? Yeah...I wanted to go get a shovel and bury myself, but I didn't; so high-fives all around.

          2. I should really, really, really stick with one story through the second draft and beyond because when you say "Oh, this is my first draft", it just isn't...I mean, you feel like you've been slaving away at stories forever and not getting anywhere, and maybe that's because you only write first drafts? In my defense, I did work on one story for almost 7 years straight (with breaks between drafts wherein I wrote 1st drafts of other stories), and nada happened. Or rather my brain came along and said, "How about we ruin this plot structure that we've worked four drafts to perfect and change the story into something totally different? How about we make it into third person with two POV characters? How about we write it in 1st person from someone totally different?" Ha. Yep. Goodbye. So, the part of the story where I polish up descriptions and that has never occurred yet in any of my drafts. Though...I think my first drafts might not be as rough as some people's?

           3. On that note, the note about not polishing up descriptions and other lovely stuff, I've found out that I don't know nothing about 'showing' versus 'telling'. I mean...I did think I knew...but obviously I didn't, and now I've been nitpicking my writing so much, I'm not even sure if I know how to write anymore. I'm going to blame my inability to discern the difference on the kinds of books I read.
       A. I grew up reading a lot of older books. A lot of older books told rather than showed. like major time. So I'm used to reading whatever be the words and not paying much attention to the mode, other than if I was bored or actually interested in the story.
       B. Even some of the newer books (as in thirteen years ago new) do the telling instead of showing. I've been reading Sci-fi books because I was being dutiful and researching one of the genres I hope to write in (so far I've found I don't like sci-fi). Currently, I'm in I, Robot by Isaac Asimov, and he tells a lot. Maybe it's because it's sci-fi, but I hope not. I really hope not.
It's really debatable whether I'll recover from this blow or not.

          4. I'm shamefully behind the reading of Craft books, but I'm working on that. I've finished Conversations With a Writing Coach by Susan May Warren. Just a quick read through. I'm planning on going back through and read the lesson part again before I work on my new idea (New. New idea. Cursed be the brain that comes with new ideas, especially since it isn't anything under the umbrella of speculative fiction. Unless I put a dragon in there somewhere). It was a really easy writing craft book to read. Now I'm on A Novel Idea by a compilation of different Christian authors. Can I say lots and lots of information? Not to mention what I'm learning with my writing mentorship.

          But that's mostly what's been going on with my writing. Other random news: I'm sick for the eighth time since the beginning of the school year in September. It's wearying. I joined Twitter, for better or worse (MeaghanRutherf8 - don't ask why), and I'm dying my hair purple (after I go get a passport picture done - the mom's request). So there's that.

How's your writing going? Anyone out there in need of critique partner? Favorite writing craft books? Most difficult part of writing?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Awkward Skype conversations are by far some of the most awkward things ever. Hah, book writing just seems like so much work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they, though? I don't know how to make them any less awkward. Book writing is hard work. Sometimes I wonder why on earth I do it. As always, thanks for reading and commenting, Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.