About Me

Monday, December 4, 2017

Snapshots of November (And Words)


The passage of time can get me feeling blue too easily. It's something I've struggled with for a long time. And when you feel like you haven't been using the time given to you to its fullest potential, you stumble down the path of asking what is the point of every single thing you do. Not a great place to be. But then Tracey over at her blog included a verse in one of her posts about something else, and it's funny how you might read the Bible year after year and still miss or forget so many essential verses. 

So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. - 1 Corinthians 15:58

NOTHING YOU EVER DO FOR THE lORD IS EVER USELESS. 

If only I knew that. And remembered that. And took it to heart. And tattooed it to my arm. Because all that is left for me to do is take each day as it comes and commit the things I do to the Lord. And I pray that He will make the things I do have worth and value. But it's frustrating how forgetful I am. 

Without further ado. This is my month. It won't (probably) be as long as last month's rambles. 



On November 5th marked twelve years of consistent journaling with maybe one erratic year and a few days here and there. So lots of very mundane days were documented. I always love how my little self would end the day's entry with 'It was a good day'. Where are you, little self?




I honestly haven't been doing much baking of late which makes me sad, but I did experiment with baking Moroccan bread (because it tasted so good at the Moroccan restaurant we went to last month in Seattle). As it ends up, the bread is actually really simple. You just make a pretty regular bread dough and add whole funnel. The funnel bit is strong off and on, but I didn't get around to making the salad they sometimes eat with it (which would even out the flavor). Oh, I also finished my garden's zucchini off in bread and made two pies for Thanksgiving (although not pictured, they were wonderful). One Apple and the other Sweet Potato pie.


Then this happened on the 5th of November. Kinda out of the blue. We haven't had snowfall in November for quite a few years. And it was a very wet 2-3 inches, but I enjoyed it. I always do, but you'll notice how the majority of the leaves are still on the trees? Made an interesting contrast. Also reminded me of when it snowed on top of the wildflowers in Springtime. It's such a joy living in one place long enough to end up seeing the little quirks.


A couple days after the snowfall, when most of the snow had melted, I went with my mom to a little college town just North of here. I've been meaning to get my passport since April, but we couldn't ever get a hold of the main branch of the USPS in town and the security/parking at the county courthouse is a pain; so off to another town we went. They're also the county seat of their county, but their courthouse was much more manageable. Less security. Friendly and helpful people. And I got a good(ish) passport picture to boot.


I don't have any plans to travel somewhere exotic, but Washington's drivers' licenses are not up to Federal standards so we won't be able to fly anywhere without a passport come January. While up there, we went for lunch and did some shopping. Although the town is smaller, because they have a college, they've managed to keep their downtown alive. On the way back, we took the backroad through the canyon (as opposed to over the three ridges), and I took a bazillion pictures out the car window. The contrasts were gorgeous.


The snow went all away. The leaves finally fell. I was out raking every spare minute (still haven't finished), and I remembered how much I love being outdoors. We have a leafblower, but there was just something about being out in the cold that makes me come alive.


I was tagged on Instagram to do a black & white, everyday photo challenge for 7 days. I was a bit worried at the start but ended up enjoying it. I haven't really ever taken staged photos or ones in black & white so it was different but definitely something I'll pursue. I guess it still holds the charms I like about photography, period. I enjoy sharing what I see with other people, but I also like experimenting with different perspectives. Catching things in a different light or catching things that most eyes just glance over.


Isn't the reflection totally awesome? I never even noticed until I was trying to take a creative picture of the cello without a decent background or real awesome lighting.


This is the only instrument featured that's actually mine (Although I might be getting a piano soon). I learned guitar on my brother's. When he moved out, I was afraid he'd take his guitar (he actually didn't) so I bought a mini Taylor guitar out of Koa wood. It's beautiful. I only wish I played better. 



So I ended up spraining my ankle the week of Thanksgiving which meant I was pretty inactive for an entire week (minus the pie making part). It was the same week my grandma was back in the hospital with an infection. So when I say Thanksgiving didn't exist. It didn't. We had cheesy hotdogs for dinner because that was the only food existing in the house. Yeah...But our Thanksgivings have never been traditional. My dad has always worked strange schedules. We've hardly ever had an immediate family, traditional Thanksgiving meal. We just waited to eat with my mom's family, but as people grow older, even what little traditions we have still change.  As it was, we did eat with my grandma the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Turkey, apple and raisin stuffing, pie, spinach pie, yams & apples, apple salad, etc. (With that menu, does it surprise you that my grandpa was an apple orchardist?). It was good.

Oh yeah, the whole spraining the ankle part was actually supposed to lead into saying I actually drew some this month. And the face wasn't half bad for having not drawn a face since last May. Second eyes still stink, though. So...I could probably ramble on endlessly because I'm good at that, but I'll stop. Right now. Right here.




Do you keep a journal? Remember the first day you ever journaled? How was your Thanksgiving? Any interesting traditions? What about the food? Favorite pies? Any of you have a passport? Where'd you go if you could go anywhere? If you've already traveled some internationally, where do you think I should go? Any of you play instruments? What kind?

Speak. I will listen. I will reply (before you die...or maybe not).

2 comments:

  1. OH my goodnesss. I would be so annoyed to have a sprained ankle, I hope that it has healed by now! The snow looks so pretty!
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow was gorgeous. The sprain was annoying, and unfortunately, I redid it yesterday 😕 Back to resting it.

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.