About Me

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

In Crushing Blows


Hope comes in crushing blows
And smiles that never last.
Life likes to prove it so
With love that never lasts.
People say they will
And make promises 
They won't even try to keep,
And we'll just let them go.
They're human --
What else do you expect?

If I could put a band aid on every broken hope--
But no, we haven't time or space
To travel down that road.
It's just enough to know
That hope hurts
Much like despair.
Sometimes I wonder what's the point
Of one and not the other.

Hope is something
I cannot bear.
It bursts at every seam
Like sorrow
And cannot be pinned down,
Contained with perfect words.
What is one 
Without the other?
Sorrow and hope. 
For every light burned out
And every dream pulled down,
One holds the other's hand.
We mourn as much 
For hope as for the thing that dies,
And all our sorrows double.

Hope comes in crushing blows
And laughter on the summits,
Somewhere just out of reach.
Hope walks hand in hand 
With love that never lasts
And promises left out to dry
And aching battles repeated
Till something else gives up and dies,
Unable to capture hope
Within these flaw-filled hands.



Hope postponed creates despair,
But hope fulfilled
Pulls the band aids off my heart
And multiplies my joy. 


+++

Again, not the post I was planning for this week, but life happened, and I'm trying to give myself breathing room when things don't work out and time doesn't behave.

Do any of you write poetry/prose? I'd love to see it if you're up for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.