About Me

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The Long Way Home {poetry}


I will take the long way home.
The one path that's empty
and a little steep.
I'll grow used to 
the shadows along the edges,
the wind's sad cries
through each and every branch,
and the hole inside my heart --
the hole where I hoped 
you'd make yourself at home.

I guess I'll take the long way home
and remember how to watch my feet
stay steady on each shifting rock
and what it's like
to keep my eyes on God.

I'll decorate my heart
with each piece of beauty
I find along the trail
until my soul feels full,
instead of halfway empty. 
The loneliness can't be so bad
when there's no chance
you'll pull it from my heart,
like a band aid ripping off. 
Somehow sameness can be bearable
when there's no chance for it to shift.
Somehow flashes of a hope that then falters
cause me to veer right off my course.

So I will take the long way home,
the only path with no one else,
and remember what it means
to believe God truly is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.