About Me

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Blessed as Opposed to Privileged


These days the word 'privileged' gets thrown around a lot. So much that when I hear it, I automatically grimace. In many ways it has turned into an insult. "You don't get to hold such and such an opinion because you're privileged, and if you should hold it, you better just keep your mouth shut because you don't understand because you're privileged."

And, in most eyes, I'd suspect they do see me as privileged. I was raised by two parents in a loving home surrounded with brothers and sisters and extended family who all loved Jesus. I always had clothing to wear, food to eat, some place to sleep. We lived in a safe neighborhood. I'm as white as they come (pretty much as white as a vampire) so I never had to experience racism. Or any persecution for my beliefs. I was given a good education and have had no shortage of opportunities should I wish to continue my education. People would probably think I'm some sort of privileged to still be living with my parents and not having to spend money on all those little (or not so little) expenses yet.

I'm exactly the sort of person the word 'privileged' would be used for. The two things keeping that insult from being full-blown is the fact I'm a woman and I don't live in some two-story house and have a car my parents bought me.

I don't like that word, however fitting it may seem. It's probably just because of the way people maliciously use it, but the cringe is still there and probably always will be.

Here's the thing: I know I've got it incredibly good, but I don't view myself privileged. I view myself as blessed.

Privileged is the word used for people who have been given much or seemed to have been given much in life. There's no reasoning to why they have more in life. It's just the way it is. And so you should feel guilty. You should feel guilty for having it better than other people. And that guilt drives you to do things for other people.

Viewing yourself as blessed is different because when I think of myself as blessed, I have a clear idea of who I have been blessed by.  I don't have all these things to be thankful for and no one to be thankful to. I know who the Giver of all good things (EVERY. SINGLE. THING = Friendships, family, pets, trees, houses, beds, soft blankets, hot chocolate, gardens...) is. I know everything of worth in my life has been given to me, not because I am someone wonderful or someone deserving of this 'special attention', but because He is gracious and merciful.

When we are blessed, we don't help others from guilt, we help them because we have been called to. It's part of the reason we were given what we have been given. It's not something to separate us from others who don't have everything we have. It's part of our strengths so that when we all come together, we show each other some different part of God's character and love.

Just because someone is blessed or 'privileged' in the eyes of another doesn't mean they are without understanding. Or trouble or worries or sorrows. Or compassion.

Frankly I don't understand why I have been blessed. I don't know why other people don't get these things that I have been given. These are the wonderings that only God knows the answer to, but having been blessed, I am left small and humbled and overwhelmed because 'for unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more' (Luke 12:48, KJV).

What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. This is such an important post! These were some really interesting thoughts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thoughts, Jolly!

      Delete
  2. Well said. The words "White Privileged" is thrown around a lot in America. The problem over here, though, is that there wasn't a racist problem until the Obama administration. Then all of a sudden, it was black vs. white.

    I look white. Really white. But, I have a lot of other races mixed in me. They just don't show through.

    I was accused of being white privileged by an anonymous person on my blog a few weeks back. She got mad at my opinion of lgbt and began to call me that and tell me I've never experienced hardship. Everyone experiences hardship. That's life.

    Great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I thought this was on a different blog. My brain had a lapse in reading, I suppose. I thought I was talking to one of my Australian friends. *Sighs and shakes head in embarrassment* This is what happens when I don't pay attention.

      I still agree with everything you said, though. You were completely right.

      So sorry for the confusion. :p

      Delete
    2. It's alright, Ivie, I wasn't confused.

      It is unfortunate how much division in the US has surfaced the last few years.

      Personally I believe there has always been a racist problem on earth. I'm just not sure the extent of it nowadays.

      Thank you for reading and your input! I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  3. AMEN AMEN AMENA MENNA ANMENAMNEMNMENEN *GRABS THE NEAREST BULLHORN AND SHOUTS 'AMEN' FROM THE ROOFTOPS*

    THIS!!!!!! THIS!! I LOVE THIS!! You absolutely NAILED IT, girl. I myself cringe every time someone uses that word "privileged" preferably attached to the word "white." How is that going to help us find compassion and love for others? How can others who call us "privileged" with a sneer on their face ever find love and compassion themselves?? They may be kind to the "underprivileged" but in order to show TRUE love you have to be kind to EVERYONE.

    But YES. I love the way you redefined this. "BLESSED" is the correct word!! We weren't given what we have because we are of a certain race or a certain religion or a certain people group -- we were given what we have because of FREEDOM and LOVE. God's eternal gift to EVERYONE.

    THE WORLD NEEDS MORE WORDS LIKE YOURS.
    YOU GO, GIRL. <3 ROCK ON.

    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abbiee 😊 I so appreciate your words. I am glad this post sparked such long comments. I hope I can write more posts that spark good and thoughtful discussions.

      I think, in general, compassion is missing. Being right has become more important than that which is so sad because compassion is everything.

      I'm delighted you liked it!

      Delete
  4. AMEN to this post! I hear the word "privileged" tossed around all the time so this was a nice breath of fresh perspective. Indeed, we end up where we end up by God's will [God must have really been in a good mood when he decided to place me where I am today, haha!], however it is up to us to look at where we are, acknowledge our blessings and do our best to share them with others, be compassionate, be *human* to others around us. Slinging the word around and harvesting guilty feelings and whatnot is, in my opinion, not the best way to go about that. It is only through love and the seeking of understanding that we will break down labels such as these and allow us to truly connect with each other on a level that can never be defined by an adjective describing one's physical/material well-being.
    Thank you for this.

    xx
    steph
    strictlystephanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading this and sharing your own thoughts! It's really important to me that people do because I want this sort of conversation on my posts.

      I agree with you. There needs to be more compassion and less 'must be right'. Often times, as humans, we downplay the humanity of those we disagree with, and that needs to change. We are all broken and battered humans just trying to find our way.

      Thank you, Stephanie 😊

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.