About Me

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Perfume of Quiet Happiness

I found you in a rainstorm,
Caught your hand in mine
Just as you spun away.
Was there a flicker of a smile
As I tried to catch your crazy?
You said the world smelled wonderful,
Like a wiped clean slate.
I couldn't disagree,
But all I smelled was the perfume of you 
-The perfume of quiet happiness
And dances in the rain
And the smile on your lips
That says I'm the one insane
With my solid stone shoes
And my feet that will not move. 
You disappeared beneath
The city's lighted lamps,
Becoming a cinematic cut
In some classic masterpiece,
But I could hear you laugh
Out amongst the falling drops,
Like a siren's call,
And I followed.
Followed through the downpour
And the lonely streets.
I followed as my footsteps
Blended with the falling rain,
And I think I lost you there
Where it all began 
Out on some empty street
In the middle of a rainstorm
When I should have kept your hand completely held in mine. 






How did your Thanksgiving go? Did you travel? Stay at home? What's your favorite part of  Thanksgiving? 

4 comments:

  1. MEAGHAN, YOUR POETRY. <3 This one tugs at the heart so hard! I could almost hear it as an ethereal, bittersweet song. (And I, too, love the smell of rain.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tracey!! I'm so glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH. SO BEAUTIFUL.
    wow.
    your words are so powerful and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ashley! Your comment makes me so happy <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.