About Me

Monday, January 22, 2018

Music (January 2018 Edition)


A couple years back I wrote a music column for a local Christian Newspaper. I had a blast highlighting different Indie artists who also happened to be Christians. After doing it for a year, I stopped, but my love of music hasn't changed nor my joy in discovering new artists. Because of that love (And the fact a couple of you appreciated my last post on music!!), I decided I'd try a new series on music, highlighting 5 different songs each month. Tell me what you think of this idea in the comments!


1. The Throwback 


Once in awhile a song will pop out of nowhere taking me back to when all my siblings lived at home. Being the youngest, I was subject to everyone else's music for the longest amount of time, and little bits of songs ended up stored inside of my mind (for ever and ever and ever). Songs I didn't even know were there until years later.

This one was played by my eldest brother in his oldies phase, and I actually kinda like it. 


'Don't Sleep in the Subway' - Petula Clark




2. The Instrumental 


You can never have too many instrumentals for your novel writing, right? I don't think I could successfully make any music list without putting Sleeping at Last on it. This instrumental is one in an album he created to go alongside a non-profit organization's tenth anniversary video. The buildup. Those strings and background vocalizations make it haunting <3

'One in Ten' - Sleeping at Last





3. The International


Wasn't sure how to word this category perfectly, but here is where I highlight musicians I've discovered from different countries or who are strongly influenced by different countries' musical styles.

Joy Ike was born to Nigerian immigrants, and she says a lot of her music has Nigerian influences.


'Don't Ever Die' - Joy Ike


4. The Newest Addition


I have Rachel Platten's first two CDs but didn't realize she had another one out till recently. This song to her grandma was one of the songs that stuck out when I gave the CD a listen. 


'Hands' - Rachel Platten




5. Just Another Song to Make it #5 (Sorta)


This will just be where I put songs that don't fit in the other categories, but you should listen to anyway =)

I discovered Katie Herzig via Noisetrade.com and have fallen more in love with her music ever since. 


'Lost and Found' - Katie Herzig 







+++

Have you heard any of these songs? Know these artists? If not, what did you think? What are some of your new song discoveries/old favorites? What do you think of a regular music-themed post? 

I would also like to thank my newest followers for the follow! I always try to visit your blogs, but it's hard sometimes for me to even know whether you have blogs, let alone find them. So please, put your blog links down in the comments! I'd love to go visit your corner of the universe =)

4 comments:

  1. I do like music posts! I haven't heard of any of these songs, but I'm more of a Celtic than a pop person.

    I'm a new follower - one of your other new followers pointed me to your little blogging corner. My blog link is below, be glad for you to drop by any time!! :)

    Catherine Hawthorn
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, keep checking back. I'll be sharing a wide variety of music, not just your typical pop.

      Thank you for commenting! I just checked out your blog and am planning to read more in the future =) Much thanks to whomever directed you my way!

      Delete
  2. SLEEPING AT LAST. YES. YES. YES.
    one of my favorite artists- his work is simply beautiful. the only song i've heard from rachel platten is, of course, fight song.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So delighted you've heard of Sleeping At Last. His music is good on so many levels. His lyrics make my poet's heart sing <3 <3

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.