About Me

Monday, February 5, 2018

Snapshots of January


The wind is howling. It rages down the hillside and throws itself at the corner of the house where my bedroom is. We don't have wind like this in February, but we also don't have 62 degree days, and we've had both in the last twenty-four hours. I have to keep reminding myself it's only February (in fact, I accidentally made the above graphic say 'February' instead of 'January' the first three times I edited it), and sometimes I catch myself and realize it's already February. 


This is just the irrigation pond that's on the property. Yesterday I saw ducks already around it. I hope it doesn't dry up before April when it's filled. 

January was long. And short. It was filled with gray days when all the colors became the same and only a little snow. I didn't take as many pictures, but I did go on walks. In fact I went on two trails in the valley that I haven't been on for years. One was more of a wilderness trail that follows a creek inside a canyon (more my style). And the other goes along the freeway from one side of the valley to the other. We didn't go the whole way, but we did manage to see some bald eagles along the river. Both are more popular trails (and we did them on the weekend when the weather was gorgeous) which is alright, but I prefer hikes where there isn't a whole lot of people. I guess I'm spoiled because I've lived out from the city all my life, but fresh air and exercise and sunshine and just having an excuse to be outside is always good. 


I started waltz lessons which wasn't anticipated. About ten years ago, I had learned the basic step but didn't go any farther. Now I've been sucked in. The senior center has open lessons, and we've gone twice so far. It's been a very interesting experience for me, and I think it'll help my self-consciousness. I'll either die of embarrassment or stop caring what other people think. Thankfully I've chosen the latter in this situation because last lesson, the instructor used me as his partner while he demonstrated a step. No biggie. I wasn't freaking out at all.


In January I can't help thinking about gardening. In spite of my garden flopping the last three years, I am always drawn to the outdoors. I'm drawn to the outdoors even though there's a month and a half till I can possibly plant the first things (it's torture). This year I've been contemplating straw bale gardening. It'd give my garden plot a rest, and maybe it would keep me being able to garden even as I collect more working hours and my responsibilities increase. But I'm also going to invest in one of those handy compost tumblers (where you put the compostables in and are able to turn it with a handle as opposed to a garden fork). It's all pretty exciting. I'm hoping these plans will come to fruition because there is something hopeful about a garden that grows. And when you have the growing bug, you have to be outside everyday to weed and water and plant and harvest. You just have to, and it breaks your heart if all your work gives you weeds. If you don't have the growing bug...well, there's no hope you'll understand.


Unexpectedly I ended up watching two movies in the theater. The Greatest Showman and Darkest Hour. Very, very different movies. I anticipated liking The Greatest Showman more out of the two, but I ended up liking Darkest Hour the best. I won't say anything about The Greatest Showman because I'll probably be shot; so I'll just talk about Darkest Hour. It's the story of Winston Churchill. More specifically the first month or so of when he was in office. It coincides with the time of Dunkirk. I've read a lot of Historical Fiction over the years. I never really, really enjoyed it, but there is something about historical movies that strike a chord with me (and I had forgotten this), especially stories about events that have obviously been touched by God. I am astounded when I see God's incredible mercy and provision. Sometimes there are details left out when stories are told that make them ten times more amazing. Little aspects that played an important part in the bigger picture.  But then with Darkest Hour, there were these small moments that I appreciated too, along with the way the characters were brought to life. Conversations Winston Churchill had with his wife. With his King. It's much more of a historical drama than a war movie. It reminded me of Amazing Grace in some ways. Lots of political arguments in the British Parliament and British humor.


 A couple days ago the red-wing blackbirds returned. The hawks built their nest in the neighbor's towering tree (and hopefully it hasn't blown down in this wind). The robin was back and taking a bath in the giant puddle we have in our driveway. The birds are singing in the trees every morning, and the first wildflower popped up out of the mud. Yes, it's spring, and it's time to come alive again.

+++

What was January like for you? When do things start feeling Springish in your neck of the woods? Have you taken any sort of dance lessons? If you haven't, would you consider doing it? 

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes spring comes as early as January and sometimes it takes much longer. Texas is funny that way. XD I haven't seen the Greatest Showman and I don't really plan to. I keep hearing how people say it's great, but I'm not one for musicals. I'm sure it's okay, but I don't know. Long ramble short, I won't shoot you. XD

    These pictures are beautiful. The outdoors is lovely. I just wish the sun would come back a little more. Soon it will be here all the time, but I always feel better when it's sunny than when it's overcast.

    Have an awesome February! And good luck with the gardening.

    ~Ivie|Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is just plain weird, isn't it? There is no way of knowing what will come next.

      Whew. I'm relieved you won't shoot me. I just know there is a ton of people that absolutely adored that movie. I didn't dislike it. I just felt it fell below its hype, and I do like musicals.

      Thank you, Ivie! Yes, the outdoors is lovely! =)

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with the gardening mood! MY work is starting to stock succulents, strawberry starter kits and seed packets and it's putting me in all sorts of gardening moods. Doesn't matter that my thumb is as ungreen as it can get and I've successfully killed pretty much every plant that I had (except for a very resilient African Violet). I want to garden and I want the soil and seeds and I want them now. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh, oh! Someone who feels it too <3 <3 There's something so magical about growing things. And hopeful. I think the hopeful aspect of planting things is the most intoxicating.

      I don't necessararily believe in green thumbs. There are so many factors. Weather, water, soil content, heat, cool. It's actually a miracle anyone can grow anything at all. And if you mostly grow indoor plants than that's a whole different ballgame. So don't give up just yet!

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting! =)

      Delete
  3. These photos are the best! I am especially in favor of that last picture .
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Vanessa! =) I hope your February is the best <3

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.