About Me

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Movies of 2018


"I'm not much of a movie person," Meaghans says as she looks down at the 12 new movies she watched in 2018, plus the rewatches and the ones she might've forgotten about. To be honest, it's mostly a matter of whether or not people can make me sit down (or if I'm able to make myself) long enough for a movie because I do like movies, not as much as TV shows, though. And I didn't really watch TV shows this year, comparatively (in the past, I watched too much). The only complete season I watched in 2018 was the second season of Stranger Things with my brother (he made me. It hurt). And I also started watching the first season of The Mentalist over again with him (and I realized I actually miss that show...*sighs*). Also a dozen episodes or so of Monk with the parents. Overall, I tried to make movie/tv shows more of a thing I do with other people than something I do by myself. More healthy and all, right?


1.

-Christopher Robin -



I have a tradition for the past...six years(?) of going to dinner and a movie with my friend and usually all her sisters (except they keep moving away), and this was our movie of choice. I was so hesitant because the trailer made me smile, and I was really hoping it wouldn't be a let down. It wasn't. It was everything I hoped it'd be -- funny, bittersweet, endearing, cozy. The plot might not be the most unique -- guy grows up and becomes swallowed in work and loses sight of what matters most, but then it seems to be a general human problem. Despite the struggles Christopher Robin faces, they don't portray him as an idiot before he changes. He is always someone you can sympathize with, and I'm always going to be a fan of Agent Carter wherever she turns up :P  But just the cinematography of it, the music, how they created the stuffed animals, Eeyore, Eeyore, and is it silly that I love the friendship between all the stuffed animals? I love the worlds that exist in woods and in-between trees. 


2.

The Darkest Hour



I did not expect to like this movie as much as I did, and it wouldn't have been something I'd choose to go to the movie theater to see, but I was pulled along by a friend. This is more of war drama than an actual war movie (although, it did include one particular scene that was artfully done and left an impression) with more interpersonal arguments than overarching obstacles. First off, I've tended to enjoy British dramas because of the humor (Amazing Grace is one of my favorite movies, and there are some similar veins in that movie as in this one), and this had a lot of humor in it. Despite my resistance toward historical fiction books, I actually enjoy the genre in movies? Winston Churchill was such an interesting individual, and it was fascinating to see what was going on behind the scenes when you generally see stories concentrated on the fighting and major battles.


3. 

Antman and the Wasp



This was a fun movie. I appreciated before and continue to appreciate how the Antman series tends to focus on the small scale stories (because if the world almost ends too many times, it kind-of loses it's significance, maybe?). And overarchingly, it has a different feel to it. I love the collection of characters. I love the cars (wouldn't that be awesome in real life?). The assortment of obstacles with no reason 'evillest of all evil' villains'. I love the family-based story -- it was a nice breath of fresh air. I think one of the villains could have maybe been made a little more sympathetic. I can't say the ending credit scene got to me because I had seen something on twitter, not a real spoiler but enough for me to brace myself. It'll be fascinating to see how this ties into the next major Marvel movie. 

4. 

The Incredibles 2



My sister and I got to take my niece with us to see this in the theater so that made it extra fun. I love the cast of characters, especially Jack-jack (and Edna, always Edna), and really the whole family. I kind-of love the whole well-developed, large, family-like casts in stories, even if I am so far incapable of creating them. The tone in this one seemed darker than the first one, but maybe they did it on purpose since most of the people who originally watched the first movie are much older now.

5. 

Thor: Ragarnok



My brother was home visiting the week Infinity War came out, and since my sister and I were a bit behind on the Marvel movies, we did a marathon. Sure, it's great to spend time with my siblings and all, but man, a marathon of Marvel movies is not for the faint of heart. We watched this one between the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and I was surprised at how similar their tones were? After the fact, my brother said people had started to realize Chris Hemsworth was capable of doing comedy, too, and so that really, REALLY shows in this. I liked it. I liked the addition of the Hulk. It is hard to realize the gravity of the whole situation when everything is so...comical, though. And it was weird to think this was a THOR movie and not another Guardians of the Galaxy.


Others:

Black Panther - If they keep evolving like this within the Marvel Universe, it'll be good. Beautiful places and small-scale stories = awesomeness. Also, the 'Tolkein' white guys. 
Guardians of the Galaxy 1+2 - Lots of laughs. The idea of civilization in outer space always makes me feel like there are endless possibilities. 
Infinity War  - Well...that happened  -- the reaction when you expect everyone to die, but they don't, and you have faith some of them will actually come back. 
I Can Only Imagine - The Erwin Brothers make the best Christian films in my opinion. They don't shy away from the tough stories. In fact, the reason why they were funded by a more mainstream company this time was because no Christian company were willing to...which is sad. 
The Greatest Showman -...I wish I liked it more...But some good songs on the soundtrack? 
The Little Prince - Huh. 
Peter Rabbit -Uh...nope, nope, nope. 


~~~

What were your top movies of 2018? Did you watch any of these? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.