About Me

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Soundtrack of 2018


This is the part of the show where Meaghan shows up and actually writes a more personal (kind-of?) blog post for a change. I did a similar post to this one last year where I highlighted the music albums I added to my collection over the previous twelve months (If I get any for Christmas, I usually just count it in the new year because who has time to fully appreciate an album in one week?). I still haven't succumbed to subscribing to any music streaming service, and I still don't think I'm missing out. This year, in fact, I went back to buying real CDs, too, instead of just MP3 albums (I don't ahve great reasoning behind it, though. I'm not stingy, but like, if you can buy the physical CD for less than an MP3 album, why not? The fact it's true doesn't make much sense either). So, here we have it -- Meaghan's soundtrack of 2018.


1.


The Desired Effect - Brandon Flowers



"And all my life, I've been told, "Follow your dreams", but the trail went cold."

This is the one album I've returned to most throughout the year, despite two ballad songs that I enjoy skipping and a skimpy ten songs. Brandon Flowers is the lead singer of The Killers, and I've always liked his voice so when I found out that he did solo work, I looked it up. My brother made fun of The Killers because he thought they had a '70s' sound to them, and I suppose Brandon Flowers generally keeps the same sound in his solo work. Last year I had Sleeping at Last in this position because of his lyrics, but Desired Effect doesn't exactly win in the brilliant lyrical department. I am drawn more to the energy in his music and his voice. There's also an aching quality to most of the songs on this album which is something that always draws me in.

Favorites:




2.


Run Wild. Live Free. Love Strong (Deluxe Edition) - For King and Country



"If we only could see what we're becoming"

My parents got me this one for my Birthday, but it's been on my wishlist since it came out (I forgot that I wanted it, though). For King and Country is probably my favorite Christian band these days. When I listen to this album, I feel hope, and for me, hope doesn't usually come through most of the Christian music I hear. I appreciate the honesty, the courage, and that hope in each of their songs. They recognize where we're at, our hurts, our weaknesses, but also that there's so much more ahead. One thing that makes a big difference on whether I like Christian music or not is whether I can take the words and use them as prayers I would offer. Encouragement is great, but if I can sing the songs and direct them toward God, then I am going to be more aware of God throughout the day.

Favorites: 




3.


Evolve - Imagine Dragons


"'Cause honey, it's been a hard year.
It seems like we're going nowhere."

Last year, I had Imagine Dragon's first two albums on this list, and they're still staying on my top favorite list, even though there's always a few songs on their albums that I borderline am annoyed with/but still kinda like? I enjoy the energy and feeling in their songs which works really well for when I'm listening to music while working (which is...mostly all the time). That's one of the main reasons why some of the other albums didn't make it up this far -- If I'm working, most of the time I need a pick-me-up. You just can't listen to sunny Sunday afternoon music when you're stuck in someone's house for six hours. There's also a poetry to their lyrics that I rather like. And just the sound of their songs -- the beats, even the instrumentation when I'm aware of all the parts being played.

Favorites:




4.


Burn the Ships - For King and Country



"We can dance upon the heartache"

I just barely got this album in the mail as a belated 'bought with Birthday money' gift so I haven't listened to it a whole lot, but already it's meant a lot to me because of the hope within the lyrics. Also, as someone who struggles with a lack of self-compassion, it's good to listen to music that reminds me of the compassion God has for me, and the compassion other people can have for me, too, because of God. So again, hope and relatability. I also like how they featured their wives on the Pioneer song. So awesome.

Favorites:





5.


Just the Beginning - Grace Vanderwaal



"Just close your eyes
And create yourself a better life.
Let the wind blow through you hair.
Let the music take you there
And make a better life."
When I first heard Grace Vanderwaal's 'Clay' on...whichever talent show she won, I really liked her voice and simple ukulele arrangement, and that style continues on this CD. I definitely wasn't disappointed. Although, I hadn't quite realized exactly what songs were on her EP and not on this CD, but that means I'll just have to get the EP later on. There's a dreamlike quality to some of her songs that I love, and the way she sings certain songs. Pretty much her whole style. I wonder how much her style/voice will change as she grows older (she's currently 14 which is awesome!).

Favorites: 





6.

Nation of Two - Vance Joy 



"And is it hard to see me go
Doing things the wrong way?
If you're here when I fall,
I know that I won't fall a long way,
A long way."

This is one of those lazy, sunny afternoon albums (at least, that's the mood I envision for this set of songs). I've enjoyed Vance Joy's music since Riptide, but I listened to this one on repeat at work one day and ended up buying it soon afterwards. I like how the acoustic guitar gets center-stage for most of his songs with distinct melodies, and bits of his lyrics come through to me. Sometimes it seems his love songs have a more realistic and natural foundation. All of the album flows together well which also means some of the songs lack in great distinction. Because of that, it can turn into just 'extra noise' if I'm not in the right mood, but it's still a good album (and only one song gets consistently skipped).


7. 


Bigger Than Your Box - Joy Ike


"It's not what you want, but your hope is coming,
Like an oak tree underneath the ground,
a small seed waiting to come out."

Joy Ike is one of my Noisetrade finds. She consistently puts her albums on Noisetrade for free or however much of a tip you feel like giving. Also this album was fully funded through Kickstarter which is awesome. I really love all the different influences that come through in her music. Her parents were immigrants from Nigeria so that influences her musical style some, and then also there's a song on this album that seems to borrow some aspects from French folk music; so it's a variety. I never quite know what to expect, but I do enjoy it. I like her voice and the cozy, simpleness of the musical arrangements on her songs, and how her faith weaves in and out through her lyrics. 


Favorites:


Give a Little (Neither of these last songs are on Youtube, but you can find the entire CD on Spotify.)

Last Time 


8.


Beneath the Skin (Deluxe Edition) - Of Monsters and Men 



"But I never changed a single color that I breathe
So you could have tried to take a closer look at me."

I got this CD from my brother last Christmas, and I haven't listened to it as much as I thought I would, mostly because it isn't quite the kind of music I need for house cleaning. It's difficult to anticipate what CDs you'll actually return to time and again. Last year I got their previous CD, and though they might have diverted some from their original slightly folk sound, I still enjoy them. Their instrumentation and lyrics are haunting and aching and sad, and their voices fit well, too. Like I said about their first CD, I...haven't really followed all the lyrics? They're of a type of poetry that isn't easy to follow when multi-tasking (but now I'm listening to this CD through and reading the lyrics. I think even though I wasn't paying attention to them, I did gather the gist and feel of them). I would say mostly modern poetry, but also, this band is Icelandic so that might influence their lyrics. Sometimes I think this kind-of music is perfect for walks or star-gazing or just lying in bed at night and listening to it. Perhaps just too haunting for house cleaning.


Favorites:

Hunger

I of the Storm

Organ 

9.


Sugar - Robin Schulz



"Your love is like a summer rain,
That brought me back to life again,

On the dry lands of my heart. You washed away the pain."

I went out on a limb with this album since I only knew I liked 4 out of the 15, but I needed some fresh sounds in my collection. I've enjoyed the genre (Dance/DJ) for many years, mostly listening to Dash Berlin, Kygo, Atb, etc., but this was my first buy. It might sound harsh, but for me, there isn't a whole lot of significance from one artist in this genre to another. Their lyrical format is similar and the fact that they all use various singers to sing their songs doesn't help, but uniqueness isn't exactly what I'm expecting anyway. There's a lot of easy-listening/catchy songs on this album, and that's one of the reasons why I like this type of music. This album just didn't come with many stand-outs. 

Favorites:

For Life 

Headlights

Show Me Love

10. 


Vice Verses - Switchfoot


"Until the sea of glass we meet,
At last completed and complete.
The tide of tear and pain subside.
Laughter drinks them dry."

I've been wanting to get a Switchfoot CD for awhile now so my friend picked this one out as a Christmas present. I haven't had the time to give it many listens, but I've really grown to appreciate Switchfoot more the last couple of months (I even saw them in concert a couple years ago!). They're another group whose lyrical honesty I appreciate. In some ways, they remind me of Imagine Dragons, or at least, I like both for similar reasons. They have a similar rock sound and flow of lyric, and there's that ache of being stuck on earth and being human and knowing there's something else for us. With Switchfoot, though, they have the hope. Lately I need music that doesn't feel like burning coals but still reminds me of that hope in the end. I'll definitely be looking into getting other CDs of theirs later on.

Favorites:

Restless

Thrive

Souvenirs

-&-

Have you heard of any of these artists or listened to these albums? What do you think? What music was staple for you during 2018? Any recommendations for me? I'm always on the lookout for new music.

I hope all of you had a lovely Christmas! One of my brothers managed to make it home for a whole week, and that can be tiring. I think this time the good far outweighed the busy tiredness of it all. Everyone was present as much as possible so we did a lot of stuff together, and there were still things we didn't fit in a whole week. It was just good. Sometimes I miss the family part of life as people grow up and move on. I have some other 'wrapping up 2018' posts coming along that I will endeavor to actually finish and post, but for now, Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.