About Me

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

This Sunshine Will Linger {poetry}


I think I can breathe now,
at least for today,
at least in this very moment
with you and the leaves
and the pumpkins and trees.

I feel like I can laugh,
and my laugh is as real as it's been for awhile.
The tightness inside of my chest 
has lightened its grasp.
You've ripped off the corners
of my smothering sky
to let the sunshine back in
so today I can thrive.

Maybe my darkness isn't so dark.
Maybe it's possible
to dig myself out 
and reach for bright skies
because I was happy 
with your happy,
even though we're still both
so broken inside--
You stayed up till 5,
persuading yourself
this life was worth
one more try.
Yesterday I couldn't see
how I'd ever be
truly at peace,
but here we are
just for awhile.

I'd like to imagine 
this sunshine will linger
when you go back home,
and I'm left on my own
because you've made today better,
but I don't want you to forget
that I'd even share in your misery
if you asked me to.

Please, don't be afraid to ask me to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.