About Me

Friday, November 25, 2016




So, despite all my complaining, writing a synopsis isn't that terrible. I managed to finish the first draft of one synopsis, and I'm still alive...so...that's good. I've been following the Go Teen Writers blog (if you don't know what that is, it's a blog written by three different published writers. They give a whole ton of advice and encouragement. If you're a writer, you should check it out) for awhile now. One of the writers on there wrote about her process. She is a seatofthepants writer at heart (like me), but since she has become published, she had to change her process around a little. What she does is write the first three chapters of a book so she can kinda get a feel for it, then she writes the synopsis. That way the synopsis isn't as boring or difficult to write since she is still discovering the story as she writes it.

I didn't think it would work for me, but I gave it a shot all the same. I wrote the first three chapters of a story (it's been a long, long time since I've started a new story from scratch. I got the feeling that I didn't know how to write a new story or new characters. Such a bad feeling) then the synopsis. I think it worked (still a little fuzzy on what makes a perfect synopsis). I have a pretty clear idea of what the story will be like when I work on completing the first draft, and if I find some other aspects or twists in the story, I can (should) be able to easily add them in.

Now...I am working on the synopsis for the book I've been working on for the past six (seven? eight?) years, and let me tell you, it is a whole ton harder to write a synopsis for a book you've already written. I have about ten pages written on it right now...which is a cause of panic for me because a synopsis is suppose to be 2-4 pages. Yeah...

I ended up breaking it down to the individual plot lines, and then I'll weave them in accordingly. Sadly, because I've been so lazy about the writing of synopses (please tell me that is the plural of 'synopsis'), I have a whole lot to catch up on. It'll make me really good at it, right? I'll have it down to an art...No...probably not. I still don't know what I'm doing...which brings me to another question: How many stories can you successfully think about at once? For the past week, I've been working on three. Two synopses and the first three chapters of another book ( which is going to be a YA Space Opera. Three cheers for knowing the genre before you start writing - also something you really should do. Be wise, not like me, and figure these things out). I haven't started this many books at once for awhile, but I've actually started feeling the heart of my latest which makes me happy because I was wondering if I'd ever be able to write another story than the one I've been working on for...an eternity.

Yep, writing is good, and when writing is good, things are hopeful.

How about you guys? Do you write? Tell me all about your woes.




2 comments:

  1. I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO GETTING LONG-WINDED WITH A SYNOPSIS. (also I have no idea what the plural is for that word...oops.) One of my book series ideas has a growing synopsis of about 10,000 words. IT'S KIND OF SCARY LOL. But I've found that the best way to write a short synopsis is to first make one that is as long as you like and then trim it down to a second draft which only includes the main plot points that move the story along (and not in great detail, either.) I've only written one "proper" synopsis, but I consider myself an intense plotter. xD WE WRITERS HAVE MANY WOES. :'''') *hugs you and gives you chocolate* best of luck with your book!!

    lotsalove,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think (know) I'm being way too descriptive. I'm still working on it a little every day, but it hurts. Thank you for the comment and the encouragement, Abbiee! And the chocolate 'cause chocolate makes EVERYTHING better.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.