About Me

Saturday, November 5, 2016

I started writing a blogpost last night, but I only got as far as "October is gone." before I stopped. I was forced to by some peppers I had cut up to put into a hamburger soup for dinner coming back to take vengeance. They were just some Banana peppers which are suppose to mild, but my hands were set aflame with burning and continued to burn much of the night. Not even aloe vera made them better, but here I am, attempting again to get this post done.


Anyways, I rather like October, and not just because it's my Birthday month. Even though Autumn technically keeps going until the middle of December, I always feel like October is the most Autumnish month. The trees are changing colors all through the month, then in November, they fall. And it's gray. And dark. And cold. Till snow falls, covering everything in a beautiful garment of white. Then it's Winter; whether or not it's still technically Fall. But now I'm getting ahead of myself. These are some random photos I took on my phone throughout October:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is my favorite chicken (No particularly reason other than that she is cute), Coriander. Here, however, her beauty and cuteness has been stolen because she is molting. It can be quite an embarrassing process for chickens. Pretty much everyone picks on them, and they want to disappear off the face of the earth. It's sad, in a comical way.

When I was growing up, my dad used to make five loaves of bread every week, but sometimes mom would steal one of the loaves and make it into cinnamon rolls instead. Well, I'm the bread baker now, and I decided to do the same. Have to say they were some of the best cinnamon rolls I've had for awhile.

Just a little bit of Autumn around the property. You can't hardly tell, but this is the pond. It's just beside the loop I take the dog on every morning and evening.

Another place on the loop. Such an interesting contrast, right? Beautifully yellow trees and then the sagebrush and cheat.


It's not the best picture, but this barn is getting close to at least 90 years of age. My great-grandpa either bought the property with it already there in the 1920s or built it. It's a bit sad. They're trying to decide what to do with it.

Another old building from way back when. There's nothing I love taking pictures of  better than old buildings and landscape. I've been taking pictures of it for the last six years in different weathers and seasons. I have a better one on my actual camera, but sometimes it's easier to get photos from my phone into these posts than from my camera.

Just out our front door. Gives you a little bit of an idea how Autumn looks in the pear orchard. Gorgeous view.

Now this may seem a little weird, but I love mushrooms. Well, I don't love eating them. I just find them really fascinating. They seem so unreal.

And this year they've appeared everywhere. All different kinds. It might be because we had 3 inches of rain in October rather than our normal 0.5. There's a mushroom club in town, and every October they have a mushroom show with all the mushrooms they've found in the county. We went last year for the first time. It was pretty cool. This year we couldn't because of a previous engagement.


This isn't a lovely looking food, but I was working on doing meal planning a little better the past two weeks, and I made this: A Chickpea, Butternut Squash, Coconut Curry. It was good in spite of its appearance and the fact it had Cilantro (evidently whether cilantro tastes good to you or not really depends on your genetics). Plus, crockpot.

As I was trying to get back into the habit of art, I had a few false starts (including the eye I posted a picture of awhile back), but I'm hoping to get somewhere with this. Just pastels, but I love pastels.


We were heading to Portland for a wedding, and we stopped somewhere. I love moss. It's so cool and weird.

This is from Oregon looking back across the Columbia River at Washington.

Multnomah Falls in Oregon. I have a better picture on my camera I might post of the whole thing. This is just the top. Very beautiful place.

I can't believe I'm showing you a picture of my face in a so-so selfie. You can't even tell my (I'm on the left) hair has red lowlights. Anyway, selfie at the wedding.

There was a large gazebo where the reception (meal and dancing) took place. Just thought it was so cool.

It was in Portland, Oregon. This place is called The Victorian Belle. It was built in the late 1800s.  It's crazy big and fancy, but most of the wedding occurred outside (it was cold enough to turn into an icicle, but then, I walked in the grass, and my feet got cold...so that was kinda the end).
This was the actual backdrop for the wedding. If I ever own a house, I'd really like for it to have a porch all around the outside...or the majority of the outside.

Finally last Sunday, we went up as tradition to see the Fall colors along the river and the Tamarac trees on the pass. It was a cloudy, rainy day but still beautiful. For one section, I had my window down and was taking pictures out of it...as the rain and cold came in. Ended up kinda freezing myself. Haven't looked at the pictures from my camera for that, though...There was an area where the contrast in colors made it just so beautiful. At the top of the pass, the fog was very thick, and the workers were out preparing for the coming snow by putting 10 ft. poles on the guard rails so the snowplows know where the edge of the road is. This highway is the defense highway so they have to keep it open all Winter long.




I hope you guys had a lovely October!

4 comments:

  1. This post was delightful! I've always wanted to visit the Pacific Northwest. It looks like you all have lovely autumns. Not to mention pear orchards (I love pears) and mushroom clubs (mushrooms are so cute/weird/interesting). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting, Alicyn! :) You should put visiting the Pacific Northwest on your list. I'm totally biased, but it has some of the most beautiful places on earth ;) I also love pears; so there are definite perks to living across the road from an orchard. Again, thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm a little sad to see October go, but I do love November, too, and I can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Your photos are beautiful--I especially like the fourth one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Alex! And thank you for commenting on my blog! :) I do like Thanksgiving and Christmas (THE FOOD...and snow...and people, I guess ;), but these last two months go by so fast...

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.