About Me

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

There was snow on the foothills this morning, and the air held a sharper, icier bite to it. I probably should have worn a scarf and maybe some gloves since I am still sick. Been sick for the past seven days. Sick enough not to be able to work which is frustrating with the holidays coming up (and the need for some extra money). I've drunk more hot tea than I have ever drunk in my entire life (Peppermint? Licorice? Check, check. Good Earth Sweet and Spicy? Check. Breathe Easy? Check. Throat Coat? Yep. A pot or two of each). I've been sick long enough for my friend from SC to hear my complaining and send me a more tea to drink. I think I'm officially a tea drinker now. People, don't get this sickness. Don't. It's miserable.

Also, it's not advisable to have a job where you end up getting sick 1/2 the time you do it. I work with kids on Tuesdays. There's usually three of us to at least 9 toddlers (all the way from when they start to walk till they are two-years-old). It sounds easy enough. Mostly they just cry all the time - In fact, I hardly know what non-crying kids look like anymore - Then I get smothered with germs. I get sick. I get well enough to go the next week. Then I finish getting well. Go again. Get sick. There have been better years (I'm finishing my second year), but this has definitely not been one of those. Those people who work solely in childcare are my heroes. How do they do it???

Anyhow, these times really drive me absolutely and totally crazy. I can't bake. I can only spend limited time outside. I try to write (but it's debatable how well one's brain works while sick. Do you find your brain to be bit out of it while you're sick?). I do some art. Some music ('cause singing totally works while you're sick), but I am not really able to do anything that equates 'work'. Pretty much I feel like I've wasted the entire week, and that's so frustrating to me.

I'm always torn. On one hand - Life is not a sprint. It's more of an endurance race. You can't burn yourself out on the 'little' things. You've got to rest and build yourself back up. "Rest when you need to but never quit." - Somebody (don't know). Great advice, but where is the line between resting and laziness? My brain always does that. Let's pick apart the tiniest details.

On the other hand - I get told repeatedly that life is short. Don't waste it. It'll fly by if you close your eyes. It's short so make sure what you're doing is truly important in the grand scheme. Don't choose the comfortable or easy way because this life isn't for that. You get Heaven and all of eternity to rest and be filled. Don't be content with comfortable. Put your heart and soul into work for the Kingdom.

I'm sure anyone would probably say both of those are true to a *certain* extent, but to what extent? They probably won't tell you that. It's easier for me to have the latter mindset -life is short. Do things that matter - I like to look towards the bigger picture. Work towards a bigger, lasting goal. It's my personality. I get told often that I can't do everything, and I tend to think, "How do you know how much you can do if you don't try?"

So when I am forced to take a week (1/52th of a year) off from doing anything of noticeable worth, it's hard not to be bothered. To be frustrated. To feel like I haven't done anything at all. So, what do you do with weeks like this? And how do you teach your mind to view mundane things as still worth something?

P.S. There's snow in the forecast! Friday night. It's not going to stick or anything, but it's still there. I might stay up all night to see it so then we can have snowflakes sandwiches, and no, it's your imagination, I'm not 21. I'm really just 10 :P



2 comments:

  1. LIFE BEING A MARATHON. You could not be more correct! I think you have such a good idea of what life is and what you need to do to get to the end happily. GOOD FOR YOU! (:

    HOPE IT SNOWS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vanessa!

      Thanks for reading, as always :) Sadly, it didn't snow. Least not when I was awake. Guess I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer for that. Do you get much snow where you are?

      Delete

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.