About Me

Wednesday, November 30, 2016


They dropped like flies
Till it was just you and I.
What an awkward combination.
What an awkward conversation.
We speak of our friends
As if we haven't seen them for years,
Even though it was them -
They're the reason we're here
In this awkward combination,
Having this awkward conversation.
You laughed when you shouldn't
When I said what I couldn't.
I cringed at the sound of my voice
As I thought I'd give words to my thoughts.
As if my thoughts could actually
Take the awkward from our combination
And the awkward from our conversation.
In theory, we are friends,
Or friends of friends,
And that would be enough,
But I can't seem to say what I mean,
And you assume I am what I say.
So why did they think
We would be more than an awkward combination
Having an uncomfortably awkward conversation?
I won't dare to lift my eyes
For fear they'll meet yours,
And you'll read right through
To the very, vulnerable center of me.
Yet, this conversation goes on and on and on.
Wouldn't you think we've had enough
Of this awkward combination of you and me?
Of this awkward conversation -
Light enough to stink,
Deep enough to make me believe
I might just be forming a friendship
That's bigger than me.
Are you genuine when you say what you say?
Is there a mockery play buried beneath your dancing eyes?
But you don't speak,
And I don't speak.
"Are you afraid of me?"
You ask, finally freeing the silence.
I pause at the question,
The thought I suddenly have.
What a funny thing!
To think that I'm as intimidating to you
As you are to me.
What an awkward combination.
What an awkward conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! :) Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I live for long comments, long walks, and food, especially food, but also long comments.